Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Military Heritage Plaza
"This Hallowed Ground"
Clemson University was established in 1889 to offer
education in applied sciences, including military
training. The institution opened four years later
and for the next 62 years academic life was
organized within an all-male military college
setting. This plaza depicts the passage of the cadet
through each academic year, represented by four
terraces. The military formation of footprints of
former students on the second terrace represents
the corps of cadets as it then existed. By the close
of the third year a complete Clemson man emerged
from the mold of the model cadet, rendered by
the artist in the twin towers: a man
prepared to meet life with determination to achieve
his goals, be a good citizen and make a
contribution to society. That senior cadet's likeness
appears in the sculpture on the fourth terrace.
Inscriptions on the wall caps list the major
conflicts in which Clemson men and women have
served as of 1998. Of the thousands to whom the
medals replicated here were awarded, at least three
were presented the Medal of Honor.
Clemson Military Heritage
Corps of Cadets
From the arrival of the
first 448 students in 1893
1955, Clemson was a
military college, strict
discipline and regimen
essence of early
Clemson life. This Military
Heritage Plaza overlooks
the parade ground on
which all cadets became
instilled with the traits
inscribed on these steps
and from which
thousands marched away
to serve this nation in
war and peace.
founding, its alumni have
served this nation in war
and peace, and many
sacrificed their lives in
battle. They epitomized
the spirit of the
citizen-soldier who takes
up arms out of a sense of
duty. The medals
displayed here replicate
the thousands awarded to
Clemson men and
women for valor, merit
and honorable service
while members of the
armed forces of the
Location. 34° 40.817′ N, 82° 50.233′ W. Marker is in Clemson, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker can be reached from Calhoun Drive. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of Clemson University, north of Tillman Hall, facing Bowman Field. Marker is in this post office area: Clemson SC 29631, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers Integration with Dignity, 1963 (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Green Clemson (within shouting distance of this marker); Quercus lyrata (Overcup Oak) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walter T. Cox, Jr. (about 400 feet away); And Then There Was War (about 500 feet away); The Old Tillman Hall Bell (about 500 feet away); Class of 1943 Veterans (about 500 feet away); First Woman Graduate (about 600 feet away); Fort Hill (about 800 feet away); Site of the First Meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Clemson Agricultural College (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Clemson.
Also see . . .
1. Clemson University. Official website of Clemson University. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Military Timeline. 1888: Thomas Clemson dies, leaves Fort Hill Plantation to the state to establish a college of scientific agriculture and mechanical arts. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Military Heritage Plaza. You don't have to know much about brick or design to admire Clemson's rich architecture. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Military Heritage Plaza, Clemson University. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Military Heritage Plaza. Established in 1996, The Military Heritage Plaza, created from the generosity of the Classes of '50, '51, '52 and '53 honors the University's history as a military institution as well as Clemson alumni who have served the United States in times of war. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
6. Clemson University Historic District #1. Clemson University Historic District I includes eight historic resources (four academic buildings, a recreational building, a post office, a marching and athletic field, and a park) located on the northern portion of the campus. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
7. Bowman Field. Bowman Field is an extremely large, open grassy area in front of Sikes Hall, Tillman Hall, Godfrey Hall, Holtzendorff Hall, and Mell Hall. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
8. Sacred Soil of Bowman Field by James F. Barker. There is something in the soil of Bowman Field. (Submitted on July 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
9. R.T.V. Bowman. Randolph T.V. Bowman was one of Clemson's first assistant football coaches and the very first baseball coach. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Bowman Field (1900)
Bowman Field is a predominantly flat and open grass field, approximately three acres in size. The west side slopes up toward Tillman Hill, Godfrey Hall, and Holtzendorff Hall. These buildings provide a strong visual boundary to the field. There are numerous large oak trees on the sloped southern portion of the field near Tillman Hall; the field's perimeter is marked by sidewalks. The northeast side of Bowman Field faces SC Highway 93, with the axial approach to Tillman Hall and the Clemson campus to the southeast.
Bowman field was laid out just before the 1900-01 school year; the college catalog for that year noted: "In memory of the lamented R.T.V. Bowman, late instructor in forge and foundry work, the new athletic and parade grounds have been named 'Bowman Field.'"
Bowman also coached Clemson's first baseball team, was an assistant coach with the first four football teams (1896-1899) under Walter M. Riggs (later acting president of Clemson from 1901-1911 and president from 1911-1924), and helped to establish the athletic program at Clemson before his death in 1899. Bowman Field was the site of drill, marching, and dress parades, commencement exercises and the awarding of military commissions from 1900 to the 1950s. It has also
— Submitted July 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,006 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.