Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bostwick in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mallory

 
 
Mallory Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 21, 2009
1. Mallory Marker
Inscription. On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of
MALLORY
The early tax records of Morgan County identify the family of "Malry" in the Harris Militia District as early as the 1840s. By the turn of the twentieth century, the community of Mallory existed in the area owned by this family. By 1897, the Mallory community boasted a church, Mallory Chapel, and a school, Mallory School. By 1911, a second school, Longs Academy, served the Harris District. There was also a general store and a post office. The application filed with the postmaster general in 1890 indicates that the post office would serve a community of approximately 2,000 individuals, and noted that "the proposed office is in the midst of an intelligent community that is densely populated."
In close proximity to the center of the Mallory Community was a grist mill on Big Sandy Creek operated by the Gibbs family. There were also two cotton gins in proximity to the community. One was located approximately two miles south, at the intersection of present-day Bostwick Highway and Sandy Creek Roads. The other one was located approximately two miles north at the intersection of present-day Bostwick Highway and Nolan Store Road, a community that later was identified as Drexel.
Because of the
Mallory Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 21, 2009
2. Mallory Marker
An old, overgrown cemetery is just visible behind the marker. The view is north on GA Highway 83, toward the crossroads at Nolan's Store and the community of Bostwick.
individuals who take pride in this community, Mallory is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
 
Erected 2009 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 33° 41.018′ N, 83° 30.007′ W. Marker is near Bostwick, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Bostwick Road (Georgia Route 83) and Wallace Road, on the right when traveling north on Bostwick Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bostwick GA 30623, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flat Rock (approx. 0.2 miles away); Apalachee (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bostwick (approx. 3.8 miles away); Fairplay (approx. 4.8 miles away); Vernacular Construction (approx. 6 miles away); Dorsey (approx. 6.1 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 6.2 miles away); Hard Labor Creek State Park (approx. 6.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
Mallory Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 21, 2009
3. Mallory Marker
One of the few old houses left in the community of Mallory
The Old Cemetery at Mallory image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 21, 2009
4. The Old Cemetery at Mallory
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement