Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Village of Venice
The first Venice flour mill was built on this site in 1822. Russell Heywood of Buffalo bought the mill in 1831 and rebuilt it in 1833. Fed by water from underground springs, the mill was in almost constant operation. Farmers from throughout northern Ohio and southern Michigan brought their grain to Venice for processing. Venice flour was an important staple for pioneers settling the Midwest. A six-hundred-foot pier on Sandusky Bay allowed cargo vessels to load flour for transport. By 1875, demand led to day and night shifts at the mill. After 122 years, the mill closed in 1945. The building was razed in 1962.
Venice was laid out in 1816 by Maj. Fred Falley. By 1818, it was the largest village west of Cleveland. Venice took part in the region's wine industry. The Steuk family's vineyards were planted in 1865, with the Dora family beginning grape production in 1869. The Mantey Winery opened in 1880, and operates today as Firelands Winery. Of several communities of faith established in Venice; one remains. Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church began as a mission of Zion Lutheran, Sandusky. Zion finished the "Venice Chapel" in 1914. Trinity Church was organized in 1926. The Village of Venice was annexed into Sandusky in 1963.
Location. 41° 26.729′ N, 82° 46.21′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Venice Road (U.S. 6) near Fremont Avenue (U.S. 6), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Sandusky (within shouting distance of this marker); Cholera Cemetery / In Honor of the Doctors (approx. 2.4 miles away); Medusa Portland Cement Company (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company (approx. 3 miles away); Underground Railroad (approx. 3 miles away); Sandusky (approx. 3.1 miles away); Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse (approx. 3.1 miles away); Kilbourne Plat (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandusky.
More about this marker. This historical marker is located on the southeast corner of the T-intersection with Venice Road and Fremont Avenue. Both of these roads are part of US 6, which 0.6 miles to the south has a junction with state route 2, and then us 6 follows Fremont Avenue north to this intersection with Venice Road, where US 6 turns eastward. It is situated in what use to be the community of Venice, Ohio, which is now part of Sandusky, Ohio.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,193 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.