“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Covington in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Garrard’s Cavalry Raid

Garrard’s Cavalry Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2009
1. Garrard’s Cavalry Raid Marker
Inscription. On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hq. 2nd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen Kenner Garrard, was in Decatur, 6 miles E of Atlanta. Garrard’s three brigades were guarding bridges over the Chattahoochee River picketing the left flank. That night, Garrard was ordered to assemble his command and move to Covington, to burn the bridges over the Yellow and Ulafauhachee (Alcovy) rivers and to destroy the railroad between Lithonia and the Alcovy.

He marched late on the 21st. By noon on the 24th, he had returned to Decatur, bringing with him “200 prisoners and a fine lot of fresh horses and negroes.” In three days, he had marched over 90 miles and destroyed three wagon bridges and the railroad bridge over the Yellow River, and more than six miles of track. At Covington, he burned the depot, a newly-built army hospital center, 2,000 bales of cotton, and large quantities of quartermaster and commissary supplies. At Conyers, at Covington and near the Alcovy, trains were captured and burned. A detached brigade burned the depot at Social Circle and destroyed other facilities enroute.

Garrard’s raid cut off all communication between Atlanta and Augusta and destroyed any hope that the Army of Tennessee [CS] -- the hard-pressed defenders of Atlanta -- might receive
Garrard’s Cavalry Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2009
2. Garrard’s Cavalry Raid Marker
supplies or reinforcements from the Eastern Confederacy.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 107-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 36.18′ N, 83° 51.51′ W. Marker is in Covington, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is on U.S. 278 0 miles west of Elm Street NE, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located in a picnic area in front of a Dairy Queen restaurant. Marker is in this post office area: Covington GA 30015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Stoneman Raid (a few steps from this marker); The March to the Sea (a few steps from this marker); Lucius Q. C. Lamar (approx. 0.4 miles away); Covington City School (approx. half a mile away); City Hall (approx. half a mile away); The Female College (approx. half a mile away); The Capture of Covington (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Dead & Hospitals (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Covington.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 933 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement