Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
And Then There Was War
Erected 1993 by Class of 1944.
Location. 34° 40.9′ N, 82° 50.25′ W. Marker is in Clemson, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker can be reached from Old Greenville Highway (South Carolina Route 93). Click for map. Marker is located on the grounds of Clemson University, near Mell Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Clemson SC 29631, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Military Heritage Plaza (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Integration with Dignity, 1963 (about 700 feet away); Thomas Green Clemson (about 700 feet away); Quercus lyrata (Overcup Oak) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walter T. Cox, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Tillman Hall Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Class of 1943 Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Woman Graduate (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the First Meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Clemson Agricultural College (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clemson.
More about this marker. Scuplture by T.J.
Also see . . .
1. Clemson University. Official website of Clemson University. (Submitted on July 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Clemson University Historic District #1. Clemson University Historic District I includes eight historic resources (four academic buildings, a recreational building, a post office, a marching and athletic field, and a park) located on the northern portion of the campus. (Submitted on July 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Mell Hall (1939)
In 1938 Clemson College sold the parcel of land now occupied by Mell Hall to the United States government for a post office to serve both the college and the community. The building was completed in 1939 and Postmaster General James A. Farley presided over its dedication the next year. The Clemson University Post Office was not only an excellent example of public architecture of the period, but also featured a large interior mural. In 1973 the university and town of Clemson built separate post offices and this building was returned to the university. It was renamed Mell Hall in memory of Patrick H. Mell, president of Clemson from 1902 to 1910, and its renovation was one of the university's first
Exterior: This one-story, rectangular brick building is covered by a lateral hipped roof, which features an octagonal, traceried lantern. the facade is symmetrical and features a central entrance with eight-light transom and is flanked by eight-over-eight, double-hung-sash windows defined by pilasters. Single, segmentally arched, eight-over-eight, double-hung-sash windows are centered on each side of the entrance arrangement. These windows are repeated on the side elevations. There is an extended central hipped bay and loading platform at the rear elevation.
Alterations include a concrete access ramp at the facade and two brick infilled window openings at the north entrance. A modern aluminum door is retrofitted in the entrance. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted July 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Heroes • Military •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 915 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.