Brownsville in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Maryland Civil War Centennial Commission.
Location. 39° 22.919′ N, 77° 39.637′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Boteler Road and Brownsville Pass Road, on the left when traveling south on Boteler Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brownsville MD 21715, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Luke’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Maryland Heights (approx. one mile away); Confederate Retreat (approx. 1.3 miles away); “Crampton Gap” (approx. 1.3 miles away); Forest of Needwood (approx. 1.6 miles away); Confederate Forces (approx. 1.7 miles away); Burkittsville: Henry Burkitt’s Town (approx. 1.8 miles away); Chew’s Ashby Artillery (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Brownsville.
Regarding Brownsville-Burkittsville Pass.
Also see . . . Crampton's Gap or South Mountain, Which is it?. Timothy Reese places the fighting along South Mountain on September 14, 1862 in context to the Antietam Campaign. Of note, scroll about halfway down the page to see a panoramic view of South Mountain with the gaps and other terrain features pointed out. From this perspective, clearly Brownsville Gap was the right anchor of the Confederate's eight mile front along South Mountain. (Submitted on August 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,634 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.