Philipstown in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Chain
ships from going up
river, anchored on shore
below, was forced by the
enemy Oct. 7, 1777.
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 41° 19.922′ N, 73° 57.638′ W. Marker is in Philipstown, New York, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of Bear Mountain Beacon Hwy (New York State Route 9D) and Manitou Station Road, on the left when traveling north on Bear Mountain Beacon Hwy. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cold Spring NY 10516, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Smith (approx. 1.1 miles away); Benny Havens (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Concord Minute Man of 1776 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Union Cemetery War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Garrison Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); Little Brown Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Naval Battle of Fort Montgomery (approx. 1.4 miles away); 32-Pounder (approx. 1.4 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 671 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.