Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Kingman in Mohave County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Chloride

 
 
Chloride Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Wisehart, July 8, 2009
1. Chloride Marker
Inscription. Four miles east is former mining town of Chloride which was started in 1864 with discovery of few mines. In 1900, it had two thousand population. Fifty or more mines were in operation around Chloride, including Tennessee – Schuykill, large producer of gold, silver, copper, lead and zinc. Post-Office in continuous operation from 1873. Now small community with blend of old and new. (Marker Number 31805.)
 
Location. 35° 23.817′ N, 114° 15.536′ W. Marker is near Kingman, Arizona, in Mohave County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 93 and County Road 125, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 93. Click for map. Marker is 18.3 miles north of Interstate 40. Marker is in this post office area: Chloride AZ 86431, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Metcalf Baker - Andrew Judson (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Chloride (approx. 3.5 miles away); Arizona and Utah / Western Arizona Railway (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mineral Park (approx. 6 miles away); Cerbat (approx. 9.3 miles away); Camp Beale Springs Arizona (approx. 16.7 miles away); Ha' Qa' Muwe: (approx. 16.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Chloride, Arizona
Chloride Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Wisehart, July 8, 2009
2. Chloride Marker
View is easterly toward the town of Chloride. US 93 is in foreground. Kingman is to the right (south).
. “The mining camp of Chloride was founded around 1863, but despite the vast riches of the district, it grew slowly due to the hostile Hualapai Indians. However, the Butterfield Stage Line began to service Chloride and the surrounding area in 1868. In the late 1860s the U.S. Army began to subdue the Hualapai and by the early 1870s a treaty was signed with the Indians, clearing the path for extensive mining.” (Submitted on July 11, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 

2. History of Chloride. “Several mining camps were started in the Cerbat Mountains after the treaty including Mineral Park, Cerbat and Chloride. They are still mining copper at Mineral Park today. The Butterfield Stage served Chloride from 1868 through 1919 and the Santa Fe Railroad came into town from 1898 until 1935. All the major mining in Chloride was finished as of about 1944. Prices to extract ore went up and man power became scarce as of World War II and things just trickled to a halt. Population in Chloride was over 2,000 people during the high point of mines; 1900 to 1920.” (Submitted on July 11, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 

3. The Ghost Town - Chloride, Arizona. (Submitted on July 11, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNatural ResourcesSettlements & Settlers
 
Tennessee Avenue, Chloride, AZ image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 7, 2010
3. Tennessee Avenue, Chloride, AZ
Chloride Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Sandie Kirchner, June 7, 2010
4. Chloride Post Office
Chloride Bank image. Click for full size.
By Sandie Kirchner, June 7, 2010
5. Chloride Bank
Chloride Gas Station image. Click for full size.
By Sandie Kirchner, June 7, 2010
6. Chloride Gas Station
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California. This page has been viewed 1,949 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement