“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dayton in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Newcom Tavern

Newcom Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 14, 2009
1. Newcom Tavern Marker
Inscription. Newcom Tavern, one of Dayton's original dwellings, stood here in Van Cleve Park for much of its storied past. After leading a party of original Dayton settlers, George Newcom constructed his home in 1796 at the corner of Main and Monument, where it became the center of activity. Through the early 1800's, it served as an inn, a church, the schoolhouse, the post office, council chambers, a courtroom, the jail, and, during the War of 1812, army quartermaster headquarters. After the war, Newcom sold the tavern, and in 1838 it was converted to a general store that stayed in business until 1894. At that time, its logs and historical significance long since covered by clapboard siding, the tavern faced demolition. When the clapboard was removed, revealing the logs beneath, the tavern was saved. As part of Dayton's centennial celebration in 1896, it was moved to Van Cleve Park and converted to a museum displaying Dayton's history. There it withstood the brunt of the 1913 flood better than many of the modern buildings. In 1964, the tavern was again moved, this time to Carillon Historical Park. The pavilions on either side of the RiverScape plaza recall the tavern's years in Van Cleve Park.
Erected by Montgomery County, City of Dayton, Five Rivers MetroParks, Miami Conservancy District, et al.
Newcom Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 5, 2009
2. Newcom Tavern Marker
39° 45.864′ N, 84° 11.418′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from East Monument Avenue (Ohio Route 4). Click for map. Marker is on a concrete column in RiverScape, Van Cleve Park. Marker is in this post office area: Dayton OH 45402, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Van Cleve Park (here, next to this marker); The Great Dayton Flood of 1913 / And The Rivers Flowed Through The City (here, next to this marker); Benjamin Van Cleve (a few steps from this marker); John Van Cleve (within shouting distance of this marker); 1905 Wright Flyer III (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birth of Aviation (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles F. Kettering (within shouting distance of this marker); "The History of the World is the Biography of Great Men" (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Dayton.
Additional comments.
1. When It Was The Jail
The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Website has a short statement regarding the jail at the Newcom Tavern:

“In 1803, an election was held and George Newcombe was elected the first Montgomery County Sheriff. His office was in a tavern, so he met his need for a jail by lowering prisoners into a dry well with a rope and by chaining prisoners to a corncrib.”
    — Submitted July 19, 2009.

Categories. Industry & CommerceMilitaryNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 817 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement