Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Baldwin in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“The Eagle’s Nest”

 
 
"The Eagle's Nest" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, 08-12-2007
1. "The Eagle's Nest" Marker
Inscription. Part of the Valley of Jehosaphat, now Dulaney Valley, patented August 10, 1684. Walter Dulaney acquired half, 1747, and remainder, 1767. His lands were confiscated and sold at the end of the Revolutionary War. Thomas Marsh obtained “The Eagle’s Nest” portion, 1788. It remained in his family until 1964.
 
Erected 1969 by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 28.245′ N, 76° 34.57′ W. Marker is near Baldwin, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Jarrettsville Pike (Maryland Route 146) 0.7 miles north of Dulaney Valley Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baldwin MD 21013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glen Ellen (approx. 1.6 miles away); “The Valley of Jehosophat” (approx. 1.6 miles away); Maj. Gen. Isaac Ridgeway Trimble, C.S.A. (approx. 2.3 miles away); Northampton Furnace (approx. 2.3 miles away); Third and Last County Almshouse (approx. 2.9 miles away); Quarters #2 & 3 (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Lower House (approx. 3.5 miles away); The View from Below (approx. 3.5 miles away).
 
More about this marker.
The Eagle's Nest Dwelling image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, 08-12-2007
2. The Eagle's Nest Dwelling
This marker was replaced in 1968 and again in 1969, due to vandalism. The earlier marker was erected by the Maryland State Roads Commission.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PersonsWar, US Revolutionary
 
An earlier version of this marker image. Click for full size.
Maryland Historical Trust Historic Sites Survey
3. An earlier version of this marker
Erected by the State Roads Commission of Maryland, apparently in 1940. The text is similar to the current version, with the exception that The Eagle's Next was still in Marsh's descendent's hands at the time of its installation.
Dwelling underwent several additions. image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, 08-12-2007
4. Dwelling underwent several additions.
The small stone section near the US Flag was built in 1694 and contains an original fireplace filling the entire wall.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,965 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   4. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement