“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chevy Chase in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Fort DeRussy

Fort DeRussy Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, July 9, 2009
1. Fort DeRussy Marker
Inscription. Built in 1861 to protect the Rock Creek Valley during the Civil War, Fort DeRussy's cannon fired a total of 109 projectiles into the northern countryside as 12,000-15,000 Confederate soldiers attacked the city under the command of Confederate General Jubal Anderson Early on July 11-12, 1864. During this two day battle (known as the Battle of Fort Stevens) Fort DeRussy aided the surrounding forts by providing the main suppressive fire to ensure a Union victory on the battlefield.

The largest piece of armament which Fort DeRussy utilized was the 100-Pound Parrott Rifle. This cannon, shown above at nearby Fort Totten, could hurl 100 pound projectiles several miles into the Maryland countryside. During the Battle of Fort Stevens, Fort DeRussy halted the Confederate advance into the city by firing this deadly and accurate cannon a total of 28 times.

[image Parrott Rifle at Fort Totten] Members of the 3rd Massachusetts Heavy Artillery by 100-Pounder Parrott Rifle inside Fort Totten, 1865.

[photo of Private Samuel Strawser] Private Samuel Strawser, a member of the 151st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, was stationed at Fort DeRussy during the Battle of Fort Stevens.

[photo of General Jubal Early] "On the right was Rock Creek, running through a deep ravine which had been rendered impassable... every appliance
Fort DeRussy Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, July 9, 2009
2. Fort DeRussy Marker
The second marker on the right asks visitors to not pull out or cut down vegetation around Fort DeRussy as they are helping to keep the fort intact. Behind these markers is a stone marker for the fort, and behind it can be seen part of the exterior walls of the fort.
of science and unlimited means had been used to render the fortifications around Washington as strong as possible."
- General Jubal Anderson Early, Commander of Confederate forces during the Battle of Fort Stevens.

You can download a podcast of Fort DeRussy at
Erected by US Department of the Interior, National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 57.781′ N, 77° 3.037′ W. Marker is in Chevy Chase, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Oregon Avenue and Military Road. Click for map. Marker is located about 200 yards northeast of the intersection and is accessed by a trail through the woods. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort DeRussy (a few steps from this marker); Fort De Russy (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tupelo Tree (approx. mile away); An African American Enclave (approx. 0.9 miles away); Early Entrepreneurs
Fort Trenches image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, July 9, 2009
3. Fort Trenches
To the left of the marker are trench remains in front of the fort walls.
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Military Road School (approx. one mile away); Never Again Such Homes At the Price! (approx. one mile away); School Days (approx. one mile away).
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
Fort Interior image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, July 9, 2009
4. Fort Interior
The fort walls circle in this photo from bottom left to upper right.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,945 times since then and 116 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement