“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bloomery in Hampshire County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

“Caudy’s Castle”

“Caudy’s Castle” Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 14, 2009
1. “Caudy’s Castle” Marker
Inscription. Named for James Caudy, pioneer and Indian fighter, who took refuge from the Indians on a mass of rocks overlooking Cacapon River during the French and Indian War (1754–1763). From his position on the Castle of Rocks, he defended himself by pushing the Indians, one by one with the butt of his rifle, over the precipice as they came single file along the narrow crevice of rocks. They fell 450–500 ft. to the base along the edge of the Cacapon.
Erected 1974 by West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
Location. 39° 24.201′ N, 78° 24.948′ W. Marker is near Bloomery, West Virginia, in Hampshire County. Marker is on Bloomery Pike (West Virginia Route 127) east of Owl Hollow, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bloomery WV 26817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bloomery Iron Furnace / Bloomery Gap Skirmish (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fight at Bloomery Gap (approx. 2.5 miles away); Pinoak Fountain (approx. 3.1 miles away); Hampshire County / Virginia (approx. 4.2 miles away); Morgan County / Hampshire County
“Caudy’s Castle” Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 14, 2009
2. “Caudy’s Castle” Marker
(approx. 6.7 miles away); Fort Edwards (approx. 7.4 miles away); Northwestern Turnpike (approx. 7.4 miles away); Frederick County Va. / West Virginia (approx. 8.3 miles away in Virginia). Click for a list of all markers in Bloomery.
More about this marker. Caudy’s Castle Rock is southwest of this marker on the west bank of the Cacapon River just south of where the North River joins the Cacapon.
Also see . . .  Caudy’s Castle Rock. “"About two miles above the forks of this river is situated "Caudy's Castle," a most stupendous work of nature. It is said by tradition that in the time of the wars between the white and red people, a man by the name of James Caudy more than once took shelter on the rock from the pursuit of the Indians, from whence its name. It consists of a fragment of the mountains, separated from and independent of the neighboring mountains, forming, as it were, a half cone, and surrounded with a yawning chasm. Its eastern base, washed by the Capon River, rises to the majestic height of four hundred and fifty to five hundred feet, while its eastern side is a solid mass of granite, directly perpendicular. A line drawn 'round its base probably would not exceed one thousand or twelve hundred yards.” (Submitted on July 15, 2009.) 
Categories. War, French and Indian
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,972 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement