Parris Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort San Marcos
By 1583, San Marcos was badly in need of repair. Officials in San Augustine sent a work party of thirty slaves to help rebuild the fort, but the garrison instead built a new fort on the marsh edge, which they also called San Marcos.
The water-filled moat of this new fort is still visible. San Marcos (II) was the last Spanish fort at Santa Elena.
To prevent it from falling into French or English hands, when the colony was finally abandoned in 1587, it was burned.
Erected by U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island.
Location. 32° 18.372′ N, 80° 40.539′ W. Marker is in Parris Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Belleau Wood Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parris Island SC 29905, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jean Ribault Monument (here, next to this marker); Charlesfort-Santa Elena Site Fort San Marcos & The Ribaut Monument (a few steps from this marker); The First Inhabitants (a few steps from this marker); Aqui Estuvo Espaņa (a few steps from this marker); Northern Most Known Bastion of Spanish Florida (a few steps from this marker); Parris Island Indians (a few steps from this marker); Parris Island Plantations (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Parris Island.
Also see . . . The History of Beaufort County, South Carolina: 1514-1861. By Lawrence Sanders Rowland, Alexander Moore, George C. Rogers pages 39- 52 (Submitted on July 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 947 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.