Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Oriental Warehouse

San Francisco Historical Landmark

 
 
The Oriental Warehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 12, 2009
1. The Oriental Warehouse Marker
Inscription. Built in 1867, the Oriental Warehouse is all that remains in San Francisco of the Pacific Mail Steamship Co., a firm that was the first to establish regular mail, passenger and trade service between the U.S. and the Orient. The building played a central role as the primary storage and distribution point for imports of tea, rice and silk from Asia and was designated a landmark by the city of San Francisco in 1977.
 
Location. 37° 46.982′ N, 122° 23.364′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is on Delancy Street near Brannan Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 650 Delancy Street, San Francisco CA 94107, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Remnants of Rincon Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fremont Street (about 400 feet away); Building the Seawall (about 400 feet away); The Alaska Packers (about 400 feet away); Townsend Street (about 500 feet away); Vernon Alley (about 500 feet away); Brannan Street (about 700 feet away); The Hawley Terminal Building (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Francisco.
 
More about this marker. The marker
The Oriental Warehouse - Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 12, 2009
2. The Oriental Warehouse - Entrance
is located on the black fire (i.e. outer) door of the entrance.
 
Regarding The Oriental Warehouse.
The Oriental Warehouse was designated San Francisco Historical Landmark Number 101 on October 8, 1977.

The Pacific Mail Steamship Company was founded in 1848 by William Aspinall. At its height in 1869, the line ran 23 steamers. In 1893 the Southern Pacific Railroad purchased the line, but it was then subsequently sold a number of times, first to the Grace Line, which then sold it to Robert Dollar and Company, after which it was then sold to American President Lines. The line went out of business in 1949.

In 1996 the building was completely renovated - the outer shell was retained, and a whole new building was constructed within, creating 66 live/work lofts. The design work was done by Fisher-Friedman Architects.
 
Also see . . .
1. Pacific Mail SS Co. Shipslist.com's history of the Pacific Mail Steamship company, including a listing of the ships that the line ran, including their year of construction, displacement, and fate, if known. (Submitted on July 22, 2009.) 

2. The Oriental Warehouse. Urban Bay Properties, Inc.'s description and history of the warehouse. Includes pictures (but none historical). (Submitted on July 22, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
The Oriental Warehouse - Wide Shot image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 12, 2009
3. The Oriental Warehouse - Wide Shot
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 907 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   3. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement