Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dumfries in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Neabsco Mills Ironworks

 
 
Neabsco Mills Ironworks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, August 15, 2007
1. Neabsco Mills Ironworks Marker
Inscription. The Neabsco Mills Ironworks complex, under the ownership of three generations of the Tayloe family, of Richmond County, operated between 1737 and 1828. Located near this site, it was one of the longest continually operating ironworks in present-day Northern Virginia. The 3,000-acre iron plantation, which was worked by resident free laborers, indentured servants, and slaves, was a multifaceted operation. The workers produced not only pig and bar iron for sale at home and export to Great Britain, but also engaged in shipbuilding, milling, leatherworking, shoemaking, and farming. The complex was an important supplier of iron for weaponry during the American Revolution and War of 1812.
 
Erected 1994 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number G-18.)
 
Location. 38° 37.167′ N, 77° 17.912′ W. Marker is near Dumfries, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Southbound Rest Area (Interstate 95 at milepost 156), on the right. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dumfries VA 22026, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dumfries Rest Area (a few steps from this marker); Freedom High School Sundial Memorial
Neabsco Mills Ironworks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 22, 2008
2. Neabsco Mills Ironworks Marker
Located in the southbound rest area.
(approx. half a mile away); Events Along Neabsco Creek (approx. ¾ mile away but has been reported missing); Potomac Path (approx. 0.8 miles away); Confederate Winter Camps (approx. 0.9 miles away); Neabsco Iron Works (approx. 0.9 miles away); “Leesylvania” (approx. one mile away but has been reported missing); New School Baptist Church (approx. one mile away).
 
Regarding Neabsco Mills Ironworks. The Ironworks mentioned on this marker are also referenced in nearby markers, “Events Along Neabsco Creek”, “Leesylvania”, and “Neabsco Iron Works.”

Although no orignal structures remain, you can still see the old mill race (water channel) for the foundry and other evidence of the complex. Pictures 2 and 3 show a hole dug for a building’s foundation along Neabsco Creek.
 
Also see . . .
1. Neabsco Iron Works Geocache. For those of you who enjoy a good hike and have a GPS, this link will give you the coordinates of a two stage geocache located on the site of the Neabsco Iron Works. You may have to register with www.geocaching.com
Looking down on some remains of Neabsco Iron Works image. Click for full size.
December 26, 2004
3. Looking down on some remains of Neabsco Iron Works
Site is south of the rest area. Picture is taken from the southeast corner, looking northwest. Neabsco Creek is in the background.
in order to view the information. (Submitted on August 17, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 

2. Additional Pictures of Neabsco Iron works. (Submitted on June 15, 2011, by Michael Veax of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
3. Additional Information on Neabsco Iron Works. (Submitted on June 15, 2011, by Michael Veax of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceWar of 1812War, US Revolutionary
 
Iron and Water don't mix. image. Click for full size.
March 9, 2002
4. Iron and Water don't mix.
Rusty water in the remains of Neabsco Iron Works.
Rest Stop Dedication image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 22, 2008
5. Rest Stop Dedication
A few paces from the marker is this dedication stone reading:
Dumfries Rest Area
Dedicated May 11, 1963
by
Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson
Plaque presented by
Virginia Travel Council

 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,640 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement