Inscription. When the Alexandria, Loudoun, & Hampshire Railroad (later W&OD) arrived on May 17, 1860, Leesburg realized a dream. A local newspaper praised the railroad, which “throws us within an hour or two’s ride of the cities of the seaboard, and opens up a new avenue of commerce and trade.”
By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
|1. Leesburg Passenger Station Marker|
At first a single depot, located 0.2 mile east of here, served passengers and freight. In 1887 the railroad opened a separate passenger station here at King Street. It remained in use until passenger service ended in 1951.
As at other towns along the line, Leesburg stationmasters played a crucial role in the smooth operation of the line. They sold tickets, operated the telegraph, and filled engines’ water tanks. Local resident Frank Raflo recalled that when a train came the stationmaster blocked street traffic “with a not-too-large signal which read simply ‘STOP.’ ”
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park, Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 39° 6.721′ N, 77° 33.974′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on King Street
(Business U.S. 15), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Located about 25 feet west of King Street along the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America.
By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
|2. Marker Seen from King Street|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Tolbert Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Norman-Harding Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dairy Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Log House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leesburg Freight Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Osterburg Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stationmaster's House (approx. 0.2 miles away); McKimmey's Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Leesburg.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photograph of the station from around 1906. An inset picture shows “A gas-electric train heads east, 1943. Cars are parked just off King Street.” The marker includes a portrait of Charles A. English, stationmaster 1866–1917.
Also see . . .
1. Leesburg Passenger Station. (Submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad. Book by Ames Williams available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
3. Rails to the Blue Ridge: The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, 1847 - 1968. Book by Herbert Harwood available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,660 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |