Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic New York Avenue Presbyterian Church
Many prominent Americans, including 17 Presidents, have worshipped here. Abraham Lincoln attended regularly during his Presidency and his original pew remains in the Sanctuary.
An initial draft document leading to the Emancipation Proclamation is on display in the Lincoln Parlor.
Dr. Peter Marshall was Minister from 1937 to 1949. The internationally known book and motion picture, “A Man Called Peter,” is based on his ministry.
Dr. George M. Docherty, Minister 1950-1975, preached a Lincoln Day sermon here in 1954 which led to the addition of the words “under God” to the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
The present church was built in 1951 and its cornerstone was laid by President Harry S. Truman. Stained glass windows inside portray the sweep of the Providence of God and various aspects of life of our Nation and the Church.
Visitors are always welcome in this house of worship.
Historical Plaque, Gift of DCR & Mrs. Herbert C. Ruckmick, Nov. 1986.
Another marker, erected in 1951, is also at this site (see picture
Formed by the merger in 1859 of the F Street Church, founded in 1803, and the Second Presbyterian Church, founded in 1819. Present building, dedicated December 20, 1951, is an enlargement of, but a reproduction in design of the building erected on this site in 1859. Abraham Lincoln was preeminent among the nine presidents of the United States who have been associated with the church. His pew is in its place in the sanctuary. The sitting room where he worshipped has been reproduced and, with the chapel, has been set aside in his memory.
National Capital Sesquicentennial Commission 1951
Erected 1986 by DCR & Mrs. Herbert C. Ruckmick.
Location. 38° 54.001′ N, 77° 1.843′ W. Marker is in Downtown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on New York Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. On the south side of the church, along New York Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1313 New York Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New York Avenue Presbyterian Church at Herald Square (a few steps from this marker); Dorothea Dix 1802 - 1887 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Church of the Epiphany Jane Addams 1860 - 1935 (about 600 feet away); W.E.B. DuBois 1868 - 1963 & Mary White Ovington 1865-1951 (about 600 feet away); Susan B. Anthony 1820 - 1906 (about 600 feet away); Luther and Charlotte Gulick (about 600 feet away); Ida Wells-Barnett 1862 - 1921 (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Downtown.
More about this marker. The marker has a relief profile of Abraham Lincoln.
Also see . . .
1. Church History. (Submitted on August 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Short Biography of Dr. Peter Marshall. (Submitted on August 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. "A Man Called Peter" Movie Entry. (Submitted on August 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,348 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 6, 7. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 10, 2016.