Governors Island in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Block House (Governors Island)
Erected 1976 by New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 41.34′ N, 74° 0.84′ W. Marker is in Governors Island, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Barry Road near Evans Road. Click for map. The Block House is located on Governors Island, New York. It can be seen from the intersection of Barry and Evans Roads. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governors Island Medical Buildings (here, next to this marker); Tower Carillon Chimes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Cornelius Chapel (about 400 feet away); Maj. General Hanson E. Ely Retirement (about 400 The South Battery (about 500 feet away); Nolan Park (about 500 feet away); John Peter Zenger (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named The South Battery (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Governors Island.
Also see . . .
1. Governor's Island Historic District Building & Property Summary Sheet. (Submitted on July 30, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. The Trust's "Landmarks of New York". A long-time crusader for preservation, the Municipal Art Society joined with The New York Community Trust in 1956 to begin the “Landmarks of New York” project. (Submitted on October 27, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 843 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.