Covington in Fountain County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fountain County Clerk's Building
Fountain County Art Council
Erected 2008 by Historic Landmarks of Fountain County.
Location. 40° 8.349′ N, 87° 23.816′ W. Marker is in Covington, Indiana, in Fountain County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Fourth Street and Harrison Street. Click for map. Take Fourth Street North. Location sits on Right side of street. Marker is on front porch to right of front door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 516 North Fourth Street, Covington IN 47932, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Covington Carnegie Library (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Covington - Indiana City Building (about 600 feet away); Fountain County (Indiana) Court House (about 700 feet away); Fountain County Centennial Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fountain County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The House With The Lions (approx. 0.2 miles away); Twentieth Century Functional Commercial Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Esther Test Wallace (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Covington.
Regarding Fountain County Clerk's Building. The “Old Clerk’s Building” was ordered to be built on the Courthouse Lawn (38' long and 25" wide) of brick in March of 1842 to protect county records from fire.
Called a “central passage structure”, or “shot-gun house” design:: one hall-way goes entirely through the building with offices on both sides. (The “shot-gun house” was so called because you could shoot a gun through the front door and nothing was hit anywhere as the blast would exit the back door.)
There were two rooms on either side of the central hall way of the “Old Clerk’s Building”. The Fountain County offices for the “Clerk”, “Auditor”, and the “Recorder” occupied most of the building. Two rooms were rented to local attorneys.
In this Covington, Indiana building Lew Wallace began his Law Practice and career as lawyer, military leader, government leader, and author. Wallace moved his office and family to Crawfordsville,
The “Old Clerk’s Building” of Fountain County was sold at public auction for $95 in 1859 and was moved, across the street and two blocks North, to its current location becoming a private residence. A larger and new County Courthouse (number three) was built on the County Square.
In 2001 the “Fountain County Art Council” bought the “Old Clerk’s Building” restoring it and is developing it as a historical interpretive center.
Also see . . .
1. General Lew Wallace Study & Museum at Crawfordsville, Indiana:::. (Submitted on May 31, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. Virtual Tour ( Courtesy - - Indiana Government web page). (Submitted on February 9, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,156 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 2. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 3, 4. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 16. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 17, 18. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 19. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.