Corinth in Alcorn County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Simpson Grant in June,
1862. In mid-July Grant
removed to plantation
home of F. E. Whitfield, Sr.,
about 1 mi. S. of Corinth.
Erected by Mississippi Historical Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 34° 56.182′ N, 88° 31.255′ W. Marker is in Corinth, Mississippi, in Alcorn County. Marker is on Jackson Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located between Childs Street and Foote Street. Marker is in this post office area: Corinth MS 38834, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Mitchell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Union General Thomas Addresses the Troops (within shouting distance of this marker); Generals' Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); The Curlee House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Provost Marshal's Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johnston's Headquarters Site of Rose Cottage (about 400 feet away); Fillmore Street Chapel (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Corinth.
Also see . . . The Battle of Corinth - October 4th. Civil War Preservation Trust website. (Submitted on July 27, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,260 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 2, 3. submitted on , by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.