Inscription. This is the site of Fort Tar, built to guard the approach to the city from the west, situated on the outskirts of Norfolk, near Armistead’s Bridge, which spanned Glebe Creek nearby. It served with Forts Barbour, Norfolk, and Nelson to protect Norfolk and Portsmouth from invasion by the British in the War of 1812.
By Scott Rollins, June 23, 2009
|1. Fort Tar Marker|
Erected by City of Norfolk.
Location. 36° 51.526′ N, 76° 17.221′ W. Marker is in Norfolk, Virginia. Marker is on Monticello Avenue (U.S. 460) north of East Virginia Beach Boulevard (U.S. 58), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. West Point Monument at Elmwood Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); West Point Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Norfolk 17 (approx. half a mile away); Bank Street Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Hospital of St. Vincent dePaul (approx. half a mile away); St. John’s African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); James W. Hunter House, 1894 (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Norfolk.
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,009 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on July 28, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |