“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

56 Park Place

ACCORD Freedom Trail

56 Park Place ACCORD Freedom Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mrs. Shirley Williams-Galvin, February 24, 2008
1. 56 Park Place ACCORD Freedom Trail Marker
Inscription. This house, overlooking Maria Sanchez Lake, was built in the 1950's for a distinguished family of educators. James G. Reddick was a longtime principal of Excelsior School and his wife Maude was the supervisor of black schools in St. Augustine in the age of segregation.

Professor Reddick also edited the first black newspaper, The St. Augustine Post in the 1930's. In March 1964 four prominent women from Boston (three of them wives of Episcopal Bishops) came to St. Augustine to give their support to the civil rights movement. Two of them were guests of Mrs. Reddick at this house.

Mrs. Esther Burgess, who stayed here, was married to the first black Diocesan Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States. Her companion, Mrs. Hester Campbell, who was white, was married to a former Bishop of Los Angeles then associated with the Episcopal Theological Seminary in Cambridge, Massachussetts.

The arrest of these women, and their friend Mrs. Mary Peabody, the 72 year old mother of the governor of Massachussetts, in two separate incidents on March 30 and March 31, at the Ponce de Leon Motor Lodge north of town brought the civil rights movement in St. Augustine to international attention. For the next three months, the Ancient City was the state for a great moral drama that resulted in the passage of the landmark
56 Park Place and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gwendolyn Duncan, February 24, 2008
2. 56 Park Place and Marker
Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Mrs. Campbell wrote a book, Four for Freedom (1974), about the events in St. Augustine, including mention of her stay in his house.

Mrs. Burgess hoped to return to St. Augustine for the celebration of the 40th anniversary of the civil rights movement in 2004, but she passed away just a couple of weeks before the event, at the age of 93.

This Historical Marker Presented this 2nd Day of July, 2008 by Northrop Grumman
Erected 2008.
Location. 29° 53.235′ N, 81° 18.755′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on Park Place. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 56 Park Place, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elk's Rest (within shouting distance of this marker); 76 Washington Street (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary's Missionary Baptist (about 600 feet away); Fernandez-Llambias House (about 600 feet away); 64 Washington Street (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church of St. Augustine (about 600 feet away); 84 St. Benedict Street (about 700 feet away); Tovar House (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. African AmericansCivil RightsHeroesNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gwendolyn Duncan of St. Augustine, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,206 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gwendolyn Duncan of St. Augustine, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement