Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

84 St. Benedict Street

ACCORD Freedom Trail

 
 
84 St. Benedict Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gwendolyn Duncan, February 24, 2008
1. 84 St. Benedict Street Marker
Inscription. The narrow streets and small building lots of this area mark it as the earliest part of Lincolnville, founded by freed slaves after the Civil War and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. An earlier house that stood on this site was the home of William VanDyke, a pioneer black elected official of St. Augustine in the 1870s.

The current building was constructed between 1910 and 1917 to serve as a parsonage for the adjacent St. Paul A.M.E. Church. It is similar in age, design, and building material to the nearby parsonage for First Baptist Church and the rectory for St. Benedict the Moor Church, all of them representing the early twentieth century heyday of Lincolnville.

Rev. Shepherd Hunter and his wife Alberta lived here in the 1940s. Their granddaughter remembered visiting them, and "the passage way between the church and the parsonage", in her biography, In My Place (1992). Her name is Charlayne Hunter-Gault. In 1961 she became the first black woman to attend the University of Georgia in its 176 year history. She is known to millions from her years as correspondent on the popular PBS television program "MacNeal/Lehrer News Hour".

St. Paul A.M.E. Church played an important role in the civil rights movement. Baseball Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson spoke at a large rally here in
Baseball Great Jackie Robins visits St. Augustine to encourage the Demonstrators image. Click for full size.
2. Baseball Great Jackie Robins visits St. Augustine to encourage the Demonstrators
June 1964. When Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. came to speak, many people wanted to hear him, but no single church was large enough. Rallies were held simultaneously at St. Paul and neighboring First Baptist. Dr. King was shuttled out the back door of one church and in the back door of the other, allowing more people the opportunity to hear him speak.

This Historical Marker Presented this 2nd Day of July, 2008 by Northrop Grumman
 
Erected 2008 by The 40th ACCORD, Inc.
 
Location. 29° 53.221′ N, 81° 18.88′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on St. Benedict Street south of St. Francis Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 84 St. Benedict Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of St. Augustine (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul A.M.E. Church (within shouting distance of this marker); 97 M.L. King Avenue (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elk's Rest (about 500 feet away); 102 M.L. King Avenue (about 500 feet away); 113 DeHaven Street
84 St. Benedict Street Rectory image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, May 20, 2014
3. 84 St. Benedict Street Rectory
(about 600 feet away); 120 DeHaven Street (about 600 feet away); 112 M.L. King Avenue (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Civil RightsEducation
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gwendolyn Duncan of St. Augustine, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,560 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gwendolyn Duncan of St. Augustine, Florida.   3. submitted on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement