“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Butts County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Crossing the Ocmulgee

Crossing the Ocmulgee Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 1, 2009
1. Crossing the Ocmulgee Marker
Inscription. On the morning of Nov. 18, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman’s army [US] moved from its bivouacs in and near Jackson toward Planters’ Factory (Ocmulgee Mills), on the Ocmulgee River at Seven Islands (9 miles SE), to effect a passage at that point on pontoon bridges to be laid by the 1st Missouri Engineers, the pontoniers of the Right Wing.

Smith’s division, 15th Corps (Osterhaus), which had camped near Flovilla, moved first. Upon arrival, the 1st Brigade (McCown), with the 4th Minnesota Infantry in advance, crossed on the ferry and entrenched on high ground east of the river. At 11:00 A.M. the pontoons arrived and, by 1:00 P.M., two bridges were ready.

That afternoon, Smith completed his crossing and camped two miles from the river on the Hillsboro road, to wait for Woods’ and Hazen’s divisions and to permit the cavalry to pass to the front. During the night, Blair’s 17th Corps crossed and moved via Monticello and Blountsville to avoid the Hillsboro road.

On the 19th, Kilpatrick’s cavalry division crossed, followed by Woods and Hazen and several wagon trains. Heavy rains having made the steep hills on the east bank extremely difficulty, the passage was not completed until the afternoon of the 20th, when Corse’s division of the 15th Corps cleared the bridge site and, with the bridge train,
Crossing the Ocmulgee Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 1, 2009
2. Crossing the Ocmulgee Marker
The marker is located to the right of the sidewalk leading to the front entrance of the 1898 Butts County Courthouse. A Blue Star Memorial Highway marker stands to the right.
followed the 17th Corps to Monticello
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 018-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
Location. 33° 17.671′ N, 83° 58.011′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Georgia, in Butts County. Marker is on West 3rd Street (U.S. 23) 0 miles west of Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is located in front of the Butts County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson GA 30233, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Right Wing at Jackson (here, next to this marker); Butts County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Butts County (within shouting distance of this marker); Iron Springs (approx. 3.5 miles away); Indian Spring (approx. 4.2 miles away); Sherman’s Right At Indian Springs (approx. 4.2 miles away); Home of Robert Grier (approx. 4.3 miles away); McIntosh House (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,110 times since then and 104 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement