“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jesup in Wayne County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Alexander Jackson Gordon




Alexander Jackson Gordon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Brown
1. Alexander Jackson Gordon Marker
Inscription. Born in Ohoopee, Georgia, to Alexander James Gordon and Sarah John Williams Gordon. As a young man Alex floated logs down the Altamaha River to pay his way through medical school. Graduating from the Georgia Medical College at Augusta in 1888, Doctor Gordon established a medical practice in Lyons, Georgia. Later he went to Waynesville, Georgia, where he met and married Carolina Butler Wiggins on October 30, 1907. He moved to Jesup in 1917 to join his boyhood friend, Jeff Rogers, in practice. Jeff had just purchased the local hospital from Doctor Crummery. Alex bought the drugstore. In 1918 Doctor Gordon purchased the house at 148 East Cherry Street, and called it home for the rest of his life. He assisted in the formation of the Jesup Presbyterian Church in 1922 and the Mannington Presybyterian Church in 1929. He was active in city government, serving on the Jesup City Council for several years. Dr. Gordon devoted much of his time to agriculture and was the first citizen to introduced Hereford cattle to Wayne County. In addition to treating the citizens of Jesup, he also served as Medical Examiner for the local Selective Service board and physician to convicts at the State Highway Camp in Brantley County. Doctor Gordon lived up to his Hippocratic Oath all his life, seeing his last patient the day before he died. He is buried in the Jesup City Cemetery.
Location. 31° 36.258′ N, 81° 52.919′ W. Marker is in Jesup, Georgia, in Wayne County. Marker is on East Cherry Street (U.S. 341), on the left. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 148 East Cherry Street, Jesup GA 31546, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wayne County (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wayne County Revolutionary War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Doctortown (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Defense of the Altamaha Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); Franklinia Altamaha (approx. 6.4 miles away); Long County Timeline Mural (approx. 10.9 miles away); Long County (approx. 10.9 miles away); Historic Roads And Indian Trails (approx. 11.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jesup.
Categories. Notable PersonsScience & Medicine
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Brown of Fitzgerald, Georgia. This page has been viewed 975 times since then and 64 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Brian Brown of Fitzgerald, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement