Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warm Springs in Meriwether County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Georgia Warm Springs Foundation

 
 
Georgia Warm Springs Foundation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 30, 2006
1. Georgia Warm Springs Foundation Marker
Inscription. These gates mark the original entrance to the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, established in July 1927 by Franklin D. Roosevelt and Basil O’Connor for the treatment of polio victims. Roosevelt himself suffered from polio beginning in 1921. Learning of the therapeutic nature of the waters at Warm Springs, Roosevelt spent two-thirds of his personal assets to acquire the Warm Springs property in 1926. Roosevelt’s 1932 election to the presidency facilitated fundraising efforts for the Foundation, whose pioneering work to alleviate the debilitating effects of polio expanded in 1938 when Roosevelt created the March of Dimes to unify a national effort to eradicate the disease.
 
Erected 2004 by Georgia Historical Society and the Roosevelt Warm Springs Development Fund, Inc. (Marker Number 99-3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 53.492′ N, 84° 41.245′ W. Marker is in Warm Springs, Georgia, in Meriwether County. Marker is on Roosevelt Highway (U.S. 27) 0.1 miles east of Juke Line Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is at the old (closed) gates at the entrance to Georgia Hall. Marker
Georgia Warm Springs Foundation Gates and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
2. Georgia Warm Springs Foundation Gates and Marker
is at or near this postal address: 6315 Roosevelt Highway, Warm Springs GA 31830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin D. Roosevelt (within shouting distance of this marker); Warm Springs Treatment Pools (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Depot Site Warm Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Little White House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Franklin Delano Roosevelt (approx. 0.7 miles away); Roosevelt Farm (approx. 2.8 miles away); Longleaf Pine Planting (approx. 3 miles away); Dowdell's Knob (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Warm Springs.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyCharity & Public WorkNotable PersonsNotable PlacesScience & Medicine
 
View to Southeast Along Spring Street (SR 41) image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 25, 2015
3. View to Southeast Along Spring Street (SR 41)
Marker is on right side of road at end of fence
Georgia Warm Springs Foundation gate rededication marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 3, 2015
4. Georgia Warm Springs Foundation gate rededication marker
This additional marker placed on the right-most column of the gate reads, "Through these gates passed a generation of individuals seeking relief from the debilitating effects of polio. This marks the original entrance to the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, established in 1927 by Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Today, this legacy of hope continues through the work of the Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation.
These gates were restored and dedicated on April 12, 2001 with sincere appreciation to Joseph W. and Annie Laura Harrell for their guiding influence in this restoration."
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,565 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   4. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement