Smyrna in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Here Johnstonís River Line Crossed the Rd.
The R.R. & highway bridges, together with 3 pontoons, spanned the river 1.5 mi. to the rear of this line. The 23d A.C. [US] crossing at the mouth of Soap Cr., 7 mi. N., July 8, forced Johnstonís retreat across the river, July 9.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-79.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 50.147′ N, 84° 28.198′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Plant Atkinson Road and Atlanta Road (Georgia Route 3), on the right when traveling east on Plant Atkinson Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30339, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church (approx. Montgomery's Ferry (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Peach Tree (approx. 1.1 miles away); Standing Peach Tree (approx. 1.1 miles away); Johnstonís Army Crossed the River (approx. 1.2 miles away); Second Shoupade (approx. 1.2 miles away); Artillery Redan (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Peachtree, War of 1812 (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Smyrna.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.