“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stafford in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Historic Aquia Creek

Historic Aquia Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, August 24, 2007
1. Historic Aquia Creek Marker
Inscription. The first known permanent English Roman Catholic settlers in Virginia, Giles Brent, his sister Margaret, and other family members, emigrated here from Maryland by 1650. In May 1861, Confederates built artillery batteries on the bluffs overlooking Aquia Landing at the creek’s mouth on the Potomac River. An early clash between U.S. Naval vessels and Confederate land batteries took place here, 30 May and 1 June 1861. After the Confederates withdrew in March 1862, the U.S. Army established a huge supply depot there. The Federals burned and abandoned it on 7 June 1863. The landing again served as a Union depot in 1864.
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-123.)
Location. 38° 28.429′ N, 77° 23.691′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. Rt 1) south of County Route 637, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stafford VA 22554, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Roman Catholic Settlement in Virginia (approx. 0.2 miles away); In the Name of Christ the King (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aquia Church
Historic Aquia Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, August 24, 2007
2. Historic Aquia Creek Marker
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Fleurries (approx. 0.8 miles away); Peyton’s Ordinary (approx. 1.6 miles away); Little Forest Baptist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Mary Kittamaquund (approx. 1.7 miles away); Island Ownership (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stafford.
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker with the same number and title erected in the late 1920s or early 1930s (most likely on a taller pole) that read, “Giles Brent built a house here in 1647. After the Indian war of 1676 this creek was for ten years the northern frontier of Virginia. The Army of the Potomac, coming from the James, landed here in August, 1862. For campaigns in 1862-63 this stream was the supply base of the Union army.”
Categories. Colonial EraMilitaryNative AmericansNotable PersonsSettlements & SettlersWar, US CivilWars, US Indian
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,603 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement