Near Woodford in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Spotsylvania County / Caroline County
Area 413 Square Miles
Formed in 1720 from Essex, King and Queen, and King William, and named for Alexander Spotswood, governor of Virginia, 1710-1722. The battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness (partly) and Spotsylvania were fought in this county.
(North Facing Side):
Area 529 Square Miles
Formed in 1727 from Essex, King and Queen, and King William. Named for Queen Caroline, wife of King George II. George Rogers Clarke, conqueror of the northwest, passed his youth in this county.
Erected 1934 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z 149.)
Location. 38° 12.716′ N, 77° 24.092′ W. Marker is near Woodford, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is on Fredericksburg Turnpike (State Highway 2), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodford VA 22580, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonial Post Office (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Winter Line (approx. 2.3 miles away); Confederate Earthworks The Gallant Pelham (approx. 2.3 miles away); Caroline County / Spotsylvania County (approx. 2.5 miles away); Fredericksburg Campaign (approx. 2.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Hamilton's Crossing (approx. 3.1 miles away); Dead Horse Hill (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.