Wellsburg in Brooke County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lewis and Clark Connection
Captain Meriwether Lewis passed Charles Town in Virginia (later renamed Wellsburg) on September 7, 1803. Lewis brought the expedition's keelboat down the Ohio River to rendezvous with William Clark near Louisville, Kentucky.
The expedition spent the winter of 1803-04 at a camp located near what is today Wood River, Illinois, preparing for the arduous journey to the Pacific Ocean and back.
...passed Charles town on the E. shore above the mouth of the mouth of the Buffaloe over which there is built a handsom wooden bridge, this has the appearance of a handsome little village, containing about forty houses.... Meriwether Lewis, September 7, 1803
[Text at Photo of Patrick Gass:]
Patrick Gass (1771-1870) Meriwether Lewis considered Patrick Gass a man of “capacity, diligence, and integrity.” Gass, a good soldier and a first rate carpenter, volunteered for the expedition, over the objections of his superiors, while stationed at Fort Kaskaskia in Illinois. When Sgt. Charles Floyd (the expedition's only casualty) died on 20 August 1804, Gass was elected by the party to replace him as “Sergeant in the corps of volunteers for North Western Discovery.” Gass returned to Wellsburg after the expedition - he was the last living member of the Corps of Discovery at his death
Erected by National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Location. 40° 16.151′ N, 80° 36.868′ W. Marker is in Wellsburg, West Virginia, in Brooke County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 6th Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is on the remnants of one of the Wellsburg Wharfs. Marker is in this post office area: Wellsburg WV 26070, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patrick Gass (a few steps from this marker); Wellsburg's Giant Sycamore (a few steps from this marker); Wellsburg Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller's Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); 1788 Wells Log House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wellsburg (approx. ¼ mile away); Isaac Duvall and Company (approx. ¼ mile away); The Wellsburg United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wellsburg.
Also see . . . Early History of Wellsburg, West Virginia. (Submitted on August 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Categories. • Exploration • Patriots & Patriotism • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,101 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.