Near Emerson in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Oct. 5, 1864, while retreating from Allatoona, 2 mi. N., French’s Div. of Stewart’s A.C. [CS] burned the bridge and block-house, capturing 84 officers and men.
The State R.R. was shifted north in 1949 and in 1950, Allatoona Creek was flooded by the impounded waters of Allatoona Dam.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 008-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 5.248′ N, 84° 42.858′ W. Marker is near Emerson, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street SE (Georgia Route 293) and Sandtown Road SE, on the right when traveling west on North Main Street SE. Click for map. The intersection is immediately south of where Sandtown Road passes under Interstate 75, just west of Lake Allatoona. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Allatoona (approx. 1.5 miles away); Wartime Allatoona The Battle of Allatoona Pass (approx. 1.8 miles away); Demand For Surrender (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Railroad (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Memorial Field (approx. 1.8 miles away); Allatoona Pass (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Allatoona (approx. 1.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Emerson.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text on this location erected by the Georgia Historical Commission.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,305 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.