“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chantilly in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

The Sully Farms

Alone in Dixie

The Sully Farms Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2006
1. The Sully Farms Marker
Inscription. At the time of the Civil War, the farms of Sully and Little Sully (no longer standing) were the homes of the Barlow and Haight families respectively. These families, connected by marriage, had come to Virginia from Dutchess County, New York, and found themselves Unionists in a secessionist neighborhood. After the men fled to avoid capture, the women of Sully operated both farms for most of the war. Maria Barlow wrote to family members in New York that "we out here alone in Dixie have no appointed place of worship no gathering together for any purpose but fighting. ... If any place sinks from weight of sin surely Virginia must."

On September 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson fought Federal Gen. John Pope's retreating army at the Battle of Ox Hill (Chantilly), five miles east of Sully, after the Second Battle of Manassas. The farms were reportedly used as hospitals. In December 1862, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry, returning from his "Christmas Raid" on Burke Station, stopped here and rested his men. Stuart, as well as Gens. Wade Hampton and Fitzhugh Lee, ate breakfast in the house and left Union wounded behind in Maria Barlow's care.

As the war continued, Confederate partisans fought on Sully lands. Confederate Col. John S. Mosby frequented the farms here, searching for supplies but also hoping to
The Sully Farms Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2006
2. The Sully Farms Marker
capture the men of the family. Neighbor Henry Ryer, reminiscing about the raids, called Mosby a "regular dare-devil."

(Sidebar) Henry Lee I patented the 3,000 acres that became Sully in 1725. His grandson, Richard Bland Lee, built the present Federal-style house in 1794, served in the Virginia House of Delegates, and was also the first Congressman from Northern Virginia. Richard Bland Lee was the brother of the Revolutionary War Hero "Light Horse" Harry Lee and the uncle of Robert E. Lee. Sully remained in the Lee family until 1838.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 54.409′ N, 77° 25.893′ W. Marker is in Chantilly, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker can be reached from Sully Road (Virginia Route 28) north of Lee - Jackson Memorial Highway (U.S. 50). Click for map. Marker is next to the gazebo at the end of the visitor's parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Chantilly VA 20151, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sully Plantation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clover Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Colonel John Singleton Mosby
Plantation Kitchen and Outbuildings image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2006
3. Plantation Kitchen and Outbuildings
Kitchen building is the right-most. Breezeway connecting the kitchen to the main house can be seen to the right of the tree.
(approx. mile away); Salisbury Plain (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mitchell-Weeks House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chantilly (approx. 2.4 miles away); Frying Pan Meeting House (approx. 2.5 miles away); Civil War at Frying Pan Spring Meeting House (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chantilly.
More about this marker. One of the series of Virginia Civil War Trails markers. There is plenty of parking at the plantation and it now has its own exit, shared with the Air & Space Museum, off of Route 28.
Regarding The Sully Farms. There is a charge to tour the house and outbuildings. But there is no charge for parking, walking the grounds, or using the tree-shaded picnic tables.
Also see . . .  The Sully Farms. Official Sully Plantation page on the Fairfax County Park Authority site. (Submitted on March 31, 2006.) 
Categories. AgricultureWar, US Civil
The Plantation's Dwelling House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2006
4. The Plantation's Dwelling House
Breezeway leads to kitchen building, out of frame to the left.
Freedom Hill Chapter Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, April 23, 2011
5. Freedom Hill Chapter Marker
Daughters of the American Revolution Commemorates the Importance of Sully as a living tribute to the rich legacy of Fairfax County Land Patented 1725. Placed June 15, 1980 This is located by the historic schoolhouse/gift shop.
The Sully Farm Schoolhouse and Gift Shop image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, April 23, 2011
6. The Sully Farm Schoolhouse and Gift Shop
This structure was moved to Sully in the 1960's for preservation. This log building dates from the first half of the nineteenth century and was originally a schoolhouse near Haymarket, Virginia.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,516 times since then and 159 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   5, 6. submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement