Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1977 by Richmond County Bicentennial Commission Sponsored by Southeastern Freight Lines. (Marker Number 40-89.)
Location. 34° 0.115′ N, 81° 1.827′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Gervais Street (U.S. 1) and Marion Street, on the right when traveling east on Gervais Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wade Hampton (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Disbrow Phillips, D.D. (about 400 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); James F. Byrnes (about 500 feet away); Memory of South Carolina Generals (about Bull Street (about 500 feet away); Sumter Street (about 500 feet away); Birthplace of General Maxcy Gregg (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . .
1. "The American Revoulution Home Page". Brigadier General Francis Marion "The Swamp Fox" (Submitted on August 16, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Francis Marion , Wikipedia entry. In September 1776, the Continental Congress commissioned Marion as a lieutenant-colonel. In the autumn of 1779, he took part in the siege of Savannah, and early in 1780, under Gen. Benjamin Lincoln, was engaged in drilling militia. (Submitted on August 16, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.