Lewisburg in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Confederate Cemetery . A Civil War Burial Ground
Colonel George Crook would not permit the Southern sympathizers to bury their own dead, and thus they were originally laid out in the Old Stone Church and later placed in a trench along the south wall of the church without ceremony. It wasn't until after the war that the remains of the 95 Confederate dead were removed from the churchyard and interred in this cross-shaped mass grave.
The bronze marker, which serves as a headstone, was provided by the Federal Government and erected on November 13, 1956.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trail.
Location. 37° 48.127′ N, 80° 27.094′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County. Marker is on McElhenny Road. Click for map. Marker is at cemetery off McElhenny Road. Marker is in this post office area: Lewisburg WV 24901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Lewisburg (here, next to this marker); Confederate Cemetery (here, next to this Lewisburg (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dick Pointer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Big Lime (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Lewisburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carnegie Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rev. John McElhenney, D.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewisburg.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,282 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?