Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wayne in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Encampments #3 & #14

 
 
Encampments #3 & #14 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 16, 2009
1. Encampments #3 & #14 Marker
Inscription.
Site of
Revolutionary War
Encampments
#3 & #14
1780

 
Location. 40° 53.861′ N, 74° 16.427′ W. Marker is in Wayne, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker is at the intersection of Two Bridges Road and Lincoln Blvd, on the left when traveling west on Two Bridges Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wayne NJ 07470, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Demarest House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Morris Canal (approx. 1.2 miles away); John Dods Tavern (approx. 2.4 miles away); Dey Mansion (approx. 2.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Headquarters of General George Washington (approx. 2.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Washington Headquarters (approx. 2.4 miles away); Colonel Theunis Dey (approx. 2.5 miles away); a different marker also named Washington Headquarters (approx. 2.5 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Wayne.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Marker on Two Bridges Road image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 16, 2009
2. Marker on Two Bridges Road
The Continental Army camped in this area, known as the Preakness valley, due to its proximity to British-occupied New York City and to nearby food sources.
Marker in Wayne image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 16, 2009
3. Marker in Wayne
The New Jersey Brigade camped in this vicinity from July 1 through July 29, 1780.
Revolutionary War Encampment Site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 16, 2009
4. Revolutionary War Encampment Site
The Passaic River can be seen in the photo behind the marker.
Dey Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 16, 2009
5. Dey Mansion
General Washington made his headquarters in this house during the 1780 encampment. The mansion is about 2½ miles from the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 815 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement