Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Paterson in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Washington’s Lookout

 
 
Washington’s Lookout Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 16, 2009
1. Washington’s Lookout Marker
Inscription.
This area used by
Washington as a lookout
while quartered at the
Dey Mansion. October 1780
Major Parr’s
Rifle Corps camped in
ravine.
Claverack Chapter
NSDAR
Clifton, NJ
Sept 28, 2008

 
Erected 2008 by National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Claverack Chapter.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 40° 53.276′ N, 74° 11.207′ W. Marker was in West Paterson, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker was on Rifle Camp Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located in Rifle Camp Park in West Paterson. Marker was in this post office area: Little Falls NJ 07424, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Washington’s Lookout (within shouting distance of this marker); Martin Luther King, Jr. (approx. 0.9 miles away); Great Notch (approx. one mile away); Watchung Ridge (approx. 1.1 miles away);
Marker in Rifle Camp Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 16, 2009
2. Marker in Rifle Camp Park
Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); American Encampment (approx. 1.7 miles away); Rogers Millwright Shop (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of the Passaic Paper Mill Flume (approx. 1.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Passaic County recently installed six new historic markers. One of these new markers was placed here, replacing this marker.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Washington’s Lookout Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 16, 2009
3. Washington’s Lookout Marker
During the 1780 encampment, this area served as a lookout point and a signal station. A signal cannon located here was part of Lord Sterling's beacon-alarm system.
Dey Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 16, 2009
4. Dey Mansion
In July of 1780, George Washington made his headquarters in the home of Colonel Theunis Dey of the Bergen County Militia. It is located about 3 miles west of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 889 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement