“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Elmwood Cemetery

Michigan Registered Historic Site

Elmwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 13, 2009
1. Elmwood Cemetery Marker
Inscription. In 1846 when this was a farm on the outskirts of Detroit, a group of gentlemen formed a corporation and purchased the land for use as a public cemetery. The trustees patterned the grounds after Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and utilized the ideas of famous landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. Parent's Creek, renamed Bloody Run after the battle fought between Pontiac and the British in 1763, serves as the focus in the informal country garden landscape. Albert and Octavius Jordon designed the handsome Gothic Revival Chapel, which opened for services in 1856. The chapel's limestone walls blend into the natural ravine and tree-lined paths. Famous people buried here include General Russell Alger, geologist Douglass Houghton, and Territorial Governor Lewis Cass.
Erected 1976 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 453.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 20.734′ N, 83° 1.075′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Robert Brady Drive 0.1 miles north of Lafayette Street East. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Detroit MI 48207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Elmwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 13, 2009
2. Elmwood Cemetery Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Michigan Colored Regiment (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Battle of Bloody Run (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Black Presence in Detroit (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chapman Abraham / Jewish Soldiers in the Civil War (approx. 0.9 miles away); Glimpses of Detroit's Riverfront History (approx. 0.9 miles away); Peter Wetherill Stroh (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ransom Eli Olds (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Mary's Church (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Detroit.
More about this marker. This historical marker is located just inside of the front entrance of Elmwood Cemetery, and immediately behind the cemetery grounds office building. To get there from downtown Detroit, travel east on East Jefferson Avenue until you reach McDougall Street, where you will then need to turn left (north) onto McDougall Street. From there drive north on McDougall Street for two blocks and just after the intersection with Lafayette Street, Mcdougall Street turns into Robert Bradby Drive. From this point the entrance to the cemetery is about 350 feet north and on your right.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesWars, US Indian
Elmwood Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 13, 2009
3. Elmwood Cemetery
View of the stream called "Bloody Run" that is the focus of the lanscaping at Elmwood Cemetery.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,192 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement