Joplin in Jasper County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Joplin, at the edge of the Ozark Highland, the city that lead and zinc built, was first sparsely settled as a farming community, 1838, John C. Cox, followed by the Rev. H.G. Joplin, and others. The first post office, 1840, was named Blytheville in honor of a Cherokee Indian, Billy Blythe.
Lead, discovered by Neosho miner David Campbell while visiting William Tingle, 1849, attracted settlers mainly from the Ozarks, though real development followed the Civil War. In 1870 E.R. Moffet and J.B. Sergeant sank the first bonanza shaft on Joplin Creek, precipitating a mining boom.
Soon rival interests established the town of Murphysburg on the west and Joplin City on the east of Joplin Creek. The two towns were joined briefly as Union City, then as the City of Joplin, 1873.
Zinc ore (blackjack), discarded at first, became more valuable to mine than lead. By 1890 Joplin held national recognition as a lead and zinc producer. Capt. E.O. Bartlett's process for making sublimed white lead contributed to the expanded prosperity.
Joplin is in a resort area of spring-fed streams, rugged mountains, and deep valleys named for its beauty and popularity the Ozark Playgrounds of Missouri. The city lies in both Jasper and Newton Counties.
Nearby Webb City, also founded on lead and zinc, turned to diversified industry at the end of first World War. Carterville, another boom town, declined after that war. In the area is abandoned Oronogo Circle Mine, said to have an output valued at 30 million dollars.
Outstanding Tri-State Mineral Museum in in Schifferdecker Par. In Joplin was home of John M Malang noted leader in Missouri's highway development.
Erected 1953 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 37° 5.035′ N, 94° 28.69′ W. Marker is in Joplin, Missouri, in Jasper County. Marker is on 7th Street (U.S. 66) 0.1 miles west of Rangeline Road (U.S. 71), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Joplin MO 64801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Jasper County Courthouse (approx. 1.9 miles away); Quinby Building (approx. 2 miles away); Swartz & Malsbury Building (approx. 2 miles away); The Connor Hotel (approx. 2 miles away); Joplin World War II Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Joplin Korean War and Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial of Timeless Honor (approx. 3 miles away); Schiffedecker Park (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Joplin.
Also see . . .
1. Joplin Visitor's Bureau. (Submitted on August 26, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
2. Legends of America - Joplin & Webb City Lead Mining. (Submitted on August 26, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
Categories. • Natural Resources • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,043 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.