Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Johnstown in Cambria County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Cambria A.M.E. Zion Church

 
 
First Cambria A.M.E. Zion Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 26, 2009
1. First Cambria A.M.E. Zion Church Marker
Inscription. Formed 1873 in the loft of the Woodvale Tannery by workers there. Organized as Cambria Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church, 1874, at Napoleon and Dibert Sts. About 1877 it moved here. Washed from its foundation in the 1889 flood but later restored.
 
Erected 1997 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 19.203′ N, 78° 55.284′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, in Cambria County. Marker is at the intersection of Haynes Street (Pennsylvania Route 403) and Menoher Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 271), on the left when traveling west on Haynes Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 409 Haynes Street, Johnstown PA 15901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tribune Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnstown Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Central Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Joseph Johns (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1936 Greater Johnstown Flood Victims (approx. 0.4 miles away); Market Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greater Johnstown Flood Victims (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Johnstown.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Disasters
 
First Cambria A.M.E. Zion Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 26, 2009
2. First Cambria A.M.E. Zion Church and Marker
First Cambria A.M.E. Zion Church Dedication image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 26, 2009
3. First Cambria A.M.E. Zion Church Dedication
This church was erected under the pastorship of Rev. J. H. Hardin. [Stone set above doorway and second floor center window]
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 911 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement