Elberton in Elbert County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Elbert County Courthouse
The Elbert County Courthouse was built in 1894 and opened in a formal ceremony at the beginning of January 1895, as the third county courthouse building and fourth County site in Elbert County. After the private home of Thomas A. Carter, on Beaverdam Creek, northwest of Elberton, was used briefly as the first court venue, the first permanent courthouse was constructed, circa 1791-1792, behind the location of the present courthouse, according to John H. McIntosh and other sources. In 1816, the General Assembly of Georgia authorized the second courthouse, which was constructed in the middle of the public square. Reuben H. Hunt, and Elbert County native, of Hunt & Lamm in Chattanooga, Tennessee, designed this third Elbert County Courthouse in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The contractor was L.L. Stephenson, of Covington, Georgia. E. Brewer Tate, Chairman of the Elbert County Commissioners, led the effort to fund this new edifice, which was built on the old Globe Hotel lot measuring 217 feet by 250 feet, on the western side of the square. Construction began May 3, 1894, with the laying of the cornerstone on the northeast corner by members of the Grand Masonic Lodge of Georgia. After the grand opening, the Elberton Star claimed that Elbert County could "boast of the best and most complete 'temple of justice' in the state of Georgia,
Location. 34° 6.588′ N, 82° 52.108′ W. Marker is in Elberton, Georgia, in Elbert County. Marker is on South Oliver Street (State Highway 77) near Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 South Oliver Street, Elberton GA 30635, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Post Road (here, next to this marker); In Memory (a few steps from this marker); In the Year 1803 (a few steps from this marker); Grave of General Wiley Thompson (a few steps from this marker); Elbert County (a few steps from this marker); Elberton Granite Bicentennial Memorial Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Dead (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Samuel Elbert (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Seaboard Airline Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Christmas Tree House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elberton.
Also see . . .
1. Elbert County, Georgia. Elbert County encompasses 1,854 sq miles and has a population of approximately 22,000. (Submitted on May 8, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Elbert County, Georgia. Elbert County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. It was established on December 10, 1790 and was named for Samuel Elbert. (Submitted on May 8, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 664 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.