Near Shiloh in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The original log meeting house was erected in 1853. The building survived the battle to serve as a hospital, but collapsed several weeks later. A new frame church replaced the original in 1875. The present masonry church was dedicated in 1959.
Location. 35° 8.025′ N, 88° 21.319′ W. Marker is near Shiloh, Tennessee, in Hardin County. Marker is on Corinth-Pittsburg Landing Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located at stop seven, Shiloh Church, in Shiloh National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Shiloh TN 38376, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shiloh United Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); Army of the Mississippi (a few steps from this marker); Army of the Ohio (a few steps from this marker); Army of the Tennessee (a few steps from this marker); Battery B, 1st Illinois Light Artillery (a few steps from this marker); Shiloh Log Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh School (within shouting distance of this marker); 17th Illinois Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Shiloh.
More about this marker. In the center is a drawing captioned, For two days, the armies of the North and South clashed in the fields and forests surrounding Shiloh Church, the log building on the left.
To the right is a portrait of General William T. Sherman. Brig. Gen. William T. Sherman commanded the Fifth Division of the Union Army of the Tennessee. He and his men were camped near Shiloh Church when surprised and assailed by the Confederates. To the far right is a map of the area showing the disposition of forces on in the afternoon of Apirl 7, 1862, the second day of the battle.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,305 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 26, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.