Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Virginia City in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Old Miners Union Hall

 
 
Old Miners Union Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 24, 2009
1. Old Miners Union Hall Marker
Inscription. The Miners Union was organized in 1867. The Union fought for recognition, safety, family welfare, and a living wage $4.00 per day. This building, owned and maintained since 1913 by Aerie 532 F. O. E., was built in 1876. The original hall was destroyed in the 1875 fire.
 
Erected by E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 30.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 39° 18.69′ N, 119° 39′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on B Street near Union Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the building. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Glory of Solidarity and Fraternity (here, next to this marker); E Clampus Vitus Building (here, next to this marker); 601's (a few steps from this marker); Piperís Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Piperís Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker);
Old Miners Union Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 24, 2009
2. Old Miners Union Hall Marker
Red Dog Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); The Union Brewery (within shouting distance of this marker); Chinatown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Virginia City.
 
Also see . . .  Miners Union of Virginia City. A History of Unions at the Comstock. (Submitted on August 27, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Old Miners Union Hall was Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - NRIS Number: 66000458
Statement of Significance:
The picturesque Miners' Union and Knights of Pythias Halls are two of the few unaltered false-fronted buildings remaining in Virginia City. "Nevada Lodge No. 1" of the Knights of Pythias was formed in Virginia City on March 23, 1873. The Lodge's paraphernalia was consumed in a fire on September 11, 1875. New regalia, procured from the defunct lodge at Genoa, burned in the Great Virginia City Fire six weeks later. The existing cast iron and stuccoed brick building was built in 1875. Nevada shared it with the city's other lodges: Lincoln, No. 6 (1874),
Old Miners Union Hall image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 24, 2009
3. Old Miners Union Hall
Marker can be seen on the far right of the building.
and Triumph, No. 11 (1879). A "Miners' Protective Association" was formed at Virginia City on June 6, 1863, with the central purpose of maintaining the standard wage of $4.00 a day for all work underground. Subsequently, the first demonstration to enforce this rate occurred at Gold Hill on July 31, 1864. Blacklisting of union members and general economic hard times reduced employment in 1864-65; the league disintegrated, and a wage of $3.50 was temporarily established in the spring of 1865. Employment revived, however, and a new miners' union was formed on July 4, 1867. Even after the Comstock was visibly and permanently declining in the late 1870's, the union successfully maintained the $4.00 rate. The original single story, wood meeting hall burned in the great fire of October 26, 1875. Its brick replacement, built in 1876, included an upstairs library. This library, established in 1877, was the only public library in Virginia City and the largest general library in the state. Union families had free access to its 2200 volumes while others paid $.50 a month.
    — Submitted August 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Additional keywords. Comstock Lode
 
Categories. Labor UnionsNotable BuildingsNotable Places
 
Old Miners Union Hall image. Click for more information.
By Robert W. Kerrigan, Photographer, circa March 1937
4. Old Miners Union Hall
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
HABS NEV,15-VIRG,19-
Click for more information.
The K of P Building, E Clampus Vitus Building and The Miners Union Hall image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 24, 2009
5. The K of P Building, E Clampus Vitus Building and The Miners Union Hall
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,838 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement