Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsport in Pickaway County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Deercreek Frontier / Williamsport and Deercreek Township

 
 
The Deercreek Frontier Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 22, 2009
1. The Deercreek Frontier Marker
Inscription.
The Deercreek Frontier
In 1772-73 missionary David Jones visited Blue Jacket's Town, a settlement of 12 cabins downstream on the east bank and Pickaweekee, a Shawnee town, on the west bank. Deercreek Methodist Circuit Deacon, Dr. Edward Tiffin, met settlers after 1798. Dr. Tiffin was later elected the first governor of Ohio. A station of Virginia bounty-land settlers, “Williams Town,” assembled here around 1797. Mill sites, established before Pickaway County, flourished in the dense oak forest of Deercreek Township. Frontier hotels in Williamsport prospered due to the “healthful” sulphur springs.

Williamsport and Deercreek Township
Development occurred rapidly in this area. In 1803 the first school was built in Deercreek Township, in 1810 the Christian Church, in 1812 Baker Mill, in 1813 Yates Mill, (restored in 1980's), in 1816 a Post Office and in 1826 the Deercreek Methodist Circuit Class was organized. Williamsport incorporated in 1842. A separate village school system was established in 1874 and a high school operated from 1891-1964. A weekly newspaper was published from 1889-1979. From 1903-1929 theatrical companies featuring "Uncle Tom's Cabin" toured from Williamsport
 
Erected 1991 by Sorosis Club of Williamsport
Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 22, 2009
2. Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker
and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-65.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 35.147′ N, 83° 7.121′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Ohio, in Pickaway County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Street (U.S. 22) and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Mill Street. Click for map. Marker is on the community park grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport OH 43164, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. P.F.C. Franklin E. Sollars (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Political Meeting at Second Baptist Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); The Underground Railroad / The Underground Railroad in Pickaway County (approx. 9.2 miles away); Grenadier Squaw Village / Cornstalk Town (approx. 9.2 miles away); Zieger House (approx. 9.3 miles away); Our Safety Forces (approx. 9.3 miles away); War Savings Quota (approx. 9.3 miles away); Grenadier Squaw Village (approx. 9.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.CommunicationsEducationEntertainmentIndustry & CommerceNative AmericansNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Deercreek Frontier / Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 22, 2009
3. The Deercreek Frontier / Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker
Looking northeast.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 754 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement