Palmetto in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Confederate Army of Tennessee
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-112.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 31.047′ N, 84° 40.172′ W. Marker is in Palmetto, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 29) and Fayetteville Road, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. The marker is located at a Confederate Monument, in a park adjacent to the old Palmetto Depot. Marker is in this post office area: Palmetto GA 30268, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Palmetto (within shouting distance of this marker); Willis Pentecost Menefee (within shouting distance of this marker); Ramah Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Palmer Family Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Old Campbell County (approx. 6.2 miles away); Birthplace of a Confederate Hero (approx. 8.2 miles away); Shadnor Baptist Church (approx. 8.3 miles away); Site of the Campbell County Court House (approx. 9.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Palmetto.
Regarding Confederate Army of Tennessee. It can be argued that the events at Palmetto were a series of expensive mistakes, which sped the end of the Confederacy. President Davis' speech was reported in the newspapers, allowing General Sherman to anticipate his military strategies. General Hardee was a highly regarded commander, and General Hood's Tennessee Campaign destroyed the Army of the Tennessee as an effective fighting force.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.