“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Montgomery's Ferry

Montgomery's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Clayton Chambers, September 2, 2009
1. Montgomery's Ferry Marker
Inscription. James McC. Montgomery acquired 1000 acres in this vicinity about 1821. Owning land on both sides of the river, he had a private ferry until granted a State franchise, Dec. 25, 1837, signed by his friend, Gov. Geo. Gilmer. It was located where the Seaboard bridge now spans the river & it remained the only traffic crossing on main rd. from Atlanta to Marietta until 1872, except the war-years, 1864-1865, in which the boats disappeared. Refugees returning, post-war, to N. Ga. & Tenn., had no means of crossing until Thomas Moore & volunteer helpers, after 72 hrs. of incredible effort, constructed an emergency flat.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-62.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 49.682′ N, 84° 27.241′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on the Atlanta Waterworks pumping station access road 0.3 miles west of Ridgewood Road NW, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. At the replica of Fort Peachtree, located at the City of Atlanta Waterworks pumping station, off Ridgewood Road. The site is currently closed to the public. Marker is at
Montgomery's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 14, 2011
2. Montgomery's Ferry Marker
The marker, at the corner of the reconstruction of Fort Peachtree at the Atlanta Watershed Complex.
or near this postal address: 2630 Ridgewood Road N.W., Atlanta GA 30327, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Peach Tree (here, next to this marker); Standing Peach Tree (a few steps from this marker); Fort Peachtree, War of 1812 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Montgomery-DeFoor House Site (approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing); Johnston’s Army Crossed the River (approx. 0.6 miles away); Montgomery Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle at Moore’s Mill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Moore's Mill (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
Also see . . .  Ferries of Cobb County. The Chattahoochee River comprised the eastern border of Cobb County beginning in 1820. It was the last major physical barrier protecting the Cherokee Nation from settlers. Using established fords to cross the river, mostly the crossing at Island Ford on Hightower Road, flatboats started moving men across the river as early as 1819. (Submitted on October 3, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesWaterways & Vessels
Montgomery's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 14, 2011
3. Montgomery's Ferry Marker
The marker is the leftmost of the three markers at the reconstruction of Fort Peachtree.
Site of Montgomery's Ferry image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, October 2, 2011
4. Site of Montgomery's Ferry
Looking upstream on the Chattahoochee River toward the ferry site, now occupied by the railroad bridge.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Clayton Chambers of Senoia, Georgia. This page has been viewed 843 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Clayton Chambers of Senoia, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement