Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Another noted family member is Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (1746-1825), a lawyer, soldier, statesman, and diplomat. He served as a delegate to the Constitutional Convention. A strong supporter of the efforts to establish the South Carolina College, he was the first elected member of its board of trustees. He was the son of Eliza Lucas Pinckney (1722-1793), who developed indigo agriculture in South Carolina.
Location. 33° 59.855′ N, 81° 1.755′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker can be reached from Sumter Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located on the Campus of University of South Carolina. in the Horseshoe. Marker is at or near this postal address: College Street, Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Legare College (a few steps from this marker); Lieber College (within shouting distance of this marker); University of South Carolina (within shouting distance of this marker); The L. Marion Gressette Euphradian Society Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harper College (about 300 feet away); Elliott College (about 300 feet away); President's House (about 300 feet away); The South Caroliniana Library (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . .
1. Pinckney College First called New South Building. the residence hall was renamed in honor of a family long prominent in the state of South Carolina.
2. Center of Military History, United States Army. Charles Pinckney
3. Center of Military History, United States Army. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
4. Distinguished Women of Past and Present. Eliza Lucas Pinckney, probably the first important agriculturalist of the United States, was born in Antigua in the West Indies
Categories. • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 4,146 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.