Near Kenton in Hardin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort McArthur Cemetery
Erected 1989 by The Country Connection Club and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number #8-33.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 39.817′ N, 83° 40.427′ W. Marker is near Kenton, Ohio, in Hardin County. Marker is on Lynn Valley Pike 0.2 miles south of County Route 106, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. This historical marker is located just 1,000 feet west of the actual site of Fort McArthur Cemetery, and about 3.5 miles to the west of the Hardin County Courthouse, which is located in downtown Kenton, Ohio. Marker is in this post office area: Kenton OH 43326, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This Tablet Marks Hullís Trail; 1812 (approx. half a mile away); Mad River Railroad (approx. 3.5 miles away); Kenton Hardware Company (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Hardin County Courthouse (approx. 3.6 miles away); Fort McArthur (approx. 3.6 miles away); "The Liberty Garden" (approx. 3.6 miles away); Hull's Trail, 1812 (approx. 3.6 miles away); Jacob Parrott (approx. 4.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kenton.
Regarding Fort McArthur Cemetery. Shortly before the start of the War of 1812 the American General William Hull, the commander of the American fortification on Michigan's border with Canada, Fort Detroit, knew that unless his position was reinforced with additional troops, that his command would be in serious trouble once the war finally got under way. So he took it upon himself to travel down to southern Ohio in order to raise those additional troops.
As soon as General Hull had raised himself an army of soldiers, he began to march northward from Urbana, Ohio. Since much of the territory between Urbana and Detroit was a hostile wilderness through both territory controlled by pro-British Native Americans and an inhospitable region known as the Black Swamp, General Hull built a string of military fortifications, along his route, in order to protect his lines of supply and communication. One of those fortifications, built in the summer of 1812 to protect the crossing of the Scioto River, was Fort McArthur.
During the winter of 1812-1813 there were over one thousand soldiers stationed at Fort McArthur and during the course of their service there some sixteen soldiers died and were buried in the Fort McArthur Cemetery.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Duncan McArthur.
2. Duncan McArthur.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Forts, Castles • Military • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,817 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 7, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.