HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Stevenson in Jackson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Stevenson Depot and Hotel
 
Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Tim Carr
1. Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker
 
Inscription. A one-story depot building was constructed here in 1853, when the railroad was first laid through Stevenson. That building burned after the Civil War and was replaced by the present brick depot and hotel in 1872.

During the Civil War, Stevenson was a hub of activity. Union and Confederate troops skirmished here and the town changed hands more than once, though Stevenson mostly lay under Union control. Troops occupied the town and a large refugee camp sprang up between the depot and Ft. Harker, a quarter-mile east.

Tens of thousands of soldiers, horses, wagons, prisoners of war, refugees, wounded men and others passed through Stevenson during the late summer and fall of 1863, before, during and after the Battles of Chattanooga and Chickamauga. Harper's Weekly, an influential newspaper of the time, noting the juncture of East-West and North-South rail lines here, called Stevenson "One of the seven most important cities in the South."

Reverse:
After the war, the depot and hotel continued as the center of life in Stevenson. Trains stopped here at mealtimes and passengers ate in the hotel dining rooms. Other passengers spent the night here; the hotel is so close to the tracks that it was said the trains "opened the hotel windows and pulled the covers off the beds." Generations recalled final passenger
 
Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker Reverse Photo, Click for full size
By Tim Carr
2. Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker Reverse
 
departures and arrivals here, often sad and poignant especially during war times.

A group of citizens saved the depot from destruction during the Bicentennial in 1976, when the last railroad office closed. The depot was renovated for use as a community museum, which opened in June 1982.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places 5/13/1974
 
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Location. 34° 52.074′ N, 85° 50.4′ W. Marker is in Stevenson, Alabama, in Jackson County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 117), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stevenson AL 35772, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Harker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Crow Town (approx. 1.5 miles away); Rocky Springs Church of Christ (approx. 7.9 miles away); Bridgeport (approx. 8.5 miles away); Trail of Tears (approx. 10 miles away); Bellefonte Cemetery / Town of Bellefonte (approx. 12.3 miles away); Birthplace of Jobyna Lancaster Ralston-Arlen (approx. 12.5 miles away in Tennessee); James Thomas Fitz-Gerald, Jr. (approx. 12.6 miles away in Tennessee). Click for a list of all markers in Stevenson.
 
Stevenson Depot Photo, Click for full size
By Tim Carr
3. Stevenson Depot
 
 
Stevenson Hotel Photo, Click for full size
By Tim Carr
4. Stevenson Hotel
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,475 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 193 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.