HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Near Grays Corner in Westmoreland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Yeocomico Church
 
Yeocomico Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
1. Yeocomico Church Marker
 
Inscription. Two miles east. Built in 1655 of oak timbers sheathed with clapboards. Rebuilt of brick in 1706. In this vicinity Mary Ball lived under the tutelage of Colonel George Eskridge, of Sandy Point, from 1721 until her marriage to Augustine Washington in 1730, and attended church here. In 1906 an association was formed to preserve the church.
 
Erected 1930 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number JT-7.)
 
Location. 38° 2.606′ N, 76° 37.449′ W. Marker is near Grays Corner, Virginia, in Westmoreland County. Marker is at the intersection of Cople Highway (Virginia Route 202) and Sandy Point Road (Virginia Route 604), on the right when traveling east on Cople Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hague VA 22469, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washington’s Mother (here, next to this marker); McCoy Revolutionary Soldiers (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zion Baptist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); War of 1812 (approx. 2 miles away); Kinsale (approx. 2 miles away); Richard Henry Lee’s Grave (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Burnt House Field (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lee Hall (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Grays Corner.
 
Yeocomico Church and Washington’s Mother Markers Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
2. Yeocomico Church and Washington’s Mother Markers
 

 
Also see . . .  Yeocomico Church Formal Writeup. “This is the fourth oldest complete church in Virginia preceded by Newport Parish in Smithfield 1680,York-Hampton Parish Church (Grace Church) 1697, and St. Peter’s in New Kent County 1701. The original part of the present building can be assigned a date of 1706 according to a dating brick in the south east wall. The north wing was most likely erected circa 1725. It is the second church on this site; the earlier building was a wooden structure of ‘oak timbers, sheathed with clapboards.’ Curiously, parts of the wooden structure, including a corner post inside the east gable and a portion of a beam were found embedded in the walls. It has been suggested with no real proof that the brick walls were erected around the frame of the earlier wooden one, essentially encasing it. It is far more likely that some wooden elements of the earlier church were re-used in the construction of the present brick edifice.” (Submitted on September 12, 2009.) 
 
Additional keywords. Church of England, Episcopal Church
 
Yeocomico Church Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher
3. Yeocomico Church
 
 
Yeocomico Church Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, August 20, 2014
4. Yeocomico Church
 
 
Yeocomico Church Landmark Plaques Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, August 20, 2014
5. Yeocomico Church Landmark Plaques
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 871 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3, 4, 5. submitted on August 21, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 195 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.