Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Village of Chester in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Denton Grist Mill

 
 
Denton Grist Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Leslie Smith, March 3, 2002
1. Denton Grist Mill Marker
Inscription.
Otterkill
On this stream the first grist mill was operated before 1785, owned by Jonas Denton and run by his son, Thomas Denton
 
Erected 1935 by State Education Department.
 
Location. 41° 21.721′ N, 74° 17.16′ W. Marker is in Village of Chester, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on Brookside Avenue (New York State Route 17M) half a mile from Academy Avenue (New York State Route 94), on the left. Click for map. At back edge of parking lot for Clifton Patrick Insurance Agency. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 Brookside Ave, Chester NY 10918, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Post Office in Chester (approx. 0.4 miles away); Welcome to Chester (approx. half a mile away); Artillery Encampment 1779 (approx. half a mile away); Revolutionary Militia of Orange and Ulster (approx. half a mile away); Korean and Viet Nam Wars Monument (approx. half a mile away); World War I Monument & Chester Bicentennial Commission Time Capsule (approx. half a mile away); Hambletonian Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wawayanda Patent (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Village of Chester.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
Denton Grist Mill Marker behind parking lot fence on left. image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, September 13, 2009
2. Denton Grist Mill Marker behind parking lot fence on left.
Ruins of Denton grist mill image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, October 3, 2003
3. Ruins of Denton grist mill
Chester Mills (F.B. Seely) demolished in the 1920s by W.A. Lawrence. Some stone work for the mill and the penstock piers remain. Two piers buried during Castle Fun Center construction, 2007.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. This page has been viewed 588 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement